Wednesday, June 06, 2007

A New Beginning...

In January of this year, certain events took place that influenced the start of a huge change in my life. A change I knew was coming, but a change that I would have to wait and be patient for. This was an escape from a company whose culture bore a negative disposition, poor morale, and low quality of life. After four years of hardship and exploitation I decided to leave a company whose silent moto was this: “The beatings will stop when the morale improves,” as one friend put it. Management made that decision easy for me when I no longer accepted unsafe flying practices if I was the pilot flying or not. I was honest about how I felt about the things they allowed to happen and the way they managed the company. Don’t get me wrong… The people (not including management) and the experiences made the treachery worthwhile. These are great people--skilled and talented pilots that I respect and consider great friends. I was unhappy at this company for a long time, and the time came for a positive change. Amen!

Two days after leaving this company, the Chief Pilot of West Wind Aviation gave me a call for an interview. It only lasted ten minutes or so, most of which was small talk, then we were going for a “tour.” I was introduced to all the Management Staff at West Wind Aviation, including the CEO and Director of Flight Operations, all smiling and happy to see me even though I was not yet an employee. The only time Management would want to talk to me at my old place of work was when I did something wrong.

We continued the tour meeting other employees: pilots, accountants, human resources and maintenance personnel, ramp attendants etc.. Everybody stopped what they were doing to say a friendly hello and made me feel welcomed. I was not at all accustomed to this type of treatment, especially when, as I recall a time at my previous employer, one Director told me to get out of her way after I had greeted her one morning. Ouch!

Next, was the Simulator where I had to demonstrate my flying skills. This simulator was a step up from the one we practiced on at Selkirk College, and was quite realistic with its projection screens and cockpit layout. I did well according to what the C.P. had indicated. He said he would give me a call within a week to tell me if there were any positions management felt I was best suited for.

A day later, the C.P. called me to say that I was going to be employed on the Jetstream (an aircraft I had previous experience on) at West Wind. I was ecstatic!

To this day, almost half way through the year now, West Wind has been a breath of fresh air from what I was used to. They have been really good to me treating me with dignity, respect, and appreciation. The schedule is fantastic (off on the weekends), uniforms are borne by the company, descent pay, potential profit sharing, cell phone allowance, occasional monthly gifts, a high regard for safety, well maintained aircraft, topped off with a positive atmosphere and wonderful people. What else could anybody ask for? I'm happy again. :-)

1 comment:

Charlie said...

Mark buddy!!! Haha, it's been so friggin' long. I'm so happy that you have a new job. I know how much you hated working with those nazi bastards.

Where are you now? What's new?

I'm visiting Paul this weekend in Van....