Thursday, September 14, 2006

Seven Successive Days

The wheels have left the ground, and the turboprop aircraft is now supported in the air by its two large, stretched out wings that are attached to two roaring engines each putting out 1,735 horsepower. I’m free! But free for one week only. One week a month, I get a holiday called a “rotation.” I look forward to this rotation which happens only once every 30 days like the moon in its entirety. In my mind I deserve it. They give us this holiday because we give up our freedoms and luxuries for three weeks at a time, in the cold, isolated, and desolate North. One week is what I have, and during that week, I make up for lost time and I try to experience and live as much as I can, in each moment that I am given. Seven days, 168 hours, 10,080 minutes, 604,800 seconds…

No comments: